Hiro’s First Night Out

Posted July 26th, 2011 in Ume and Baby 2 Comments »

The other night I was invited for dinner with in-laws to Tony Romas on Hay street.  At first I didn’t want to go, because I’ve been doing “night time routine” for Hiro for almost 5 months now and didn’t want to mess it up.  He normally takes bath around 6pm then feeds, and goes to bed around 7pm.  But, sisters were saying “it should be ok~” , and I know I should be doing some trials of taking him out at night as our flight with Cathay Pacific is midnight.  So we all went out.

Before we go, I searched the topic on internet and read someone saying “Don’t do it! My baby didn’t sleep afterwards at all and it was a nightmare”.  Hmmmm….  bit scary, but we should try it anyway!  The dinner booking was at 18:30, so we bathed him around 17:30 and fed him until he fell asleep.

When I put him in a capsule he woke up, but stayed very quiet and looked drowsy.  He fell asleep in the car. Yey 😀

At Tony Romas, we started with few entrees : garlic bread and onion loaves.

I was very hungry that night, and ordered regular-size St Louis Rib (pork ribs with choice of sauce : Original, Carolina Honeys, Blue Ridge Smokies or Tony Roma’s Red Hots – I had Carolina Honeys). D ordered St Louis Sampler (a dozen of ribs with all the 4 sauces) .  Boy, it was a big portion!

I did finish mine, and helped eating few ribs from D’s plate too. 😀

Hiro stayed asleep while we were dining.  Everyone was asking “Is there really a baby in the stroller?!  Maybe you left him in the cot in the house!.”  But when we were about to leave the restaurant, he started moving and opened his eyes.  In-laws started talking to him, so he was completely awake when we put him in the car.  ….. Screaming and screaming…  He didn’t shut up…  Because he was screaming so hard, his voice started to be dried and high-tone.  Poor baby…

When we got home, I quickly took him out from the capsule and held him in his cot room.  He then fell asleep, and didn’t wake up when I put him on the cot.  He stayed sleep until 2 am!

His routine went back to normal from the next day, and he’s been good.  I’m glad to know that taking him out at night won’t mess up the routine we’ve established.  Crying hard  part (because he was exhausted and sleepy) is a bit of worry to me, but I’ll think about what I can do about it before out flight.  I heard a baby hammock will do good job on the plane.


2 Comments on “Hiro’s First Night Out”

  1. 1 Megan said at 11:42 am on July 26th, 2011:

    I do love your little stories about what you are doing with Hiro. It’s understandable that you would be a bit worried about him crying on the flight. I have been on that flight a couple of times and I can tell you that I have never heard a baby cry for very long. I think you are supposed to give him his bottle when you are taking off and landing because the sucking equalises the pressure in his ears.
    After that, there is no reason for him not to just fall asleep, as long as he is fed and comfortable.
    I’m sure it will be fine for you all.

  2. 2 umepontarou said at 1:54 pm on July 26th, 2011:


    Yeah, I’ll try to match his feeding time around the take-off/landing. 🙂 Or, maybe I can let him suck on a bottle of apple juice? He doesn’t like dummies, so the options are either a bottle or fingers.
    Thanks, I hope so too! 🙂

Leave a Comment